How Joe Hart think?
Environment where G.K play is one of the factors how influences the way he thinks. So is essential to define some factor of this environment (Opponent and Manchester City Formation); to a better understand GK behavior. Manchester City uses mostly formation 6 (68.4%; 26 Games)1; for this games opponents teams use also formation 6 (27%) and formation 2 (27%) to try win the games. When Manchester City use formation 4 (13%; 5 Games) the opponent team use 5 different formation (graf 1 and 2).
Joe Hart behavior in transition (Defense-Attack)
Using MCFCAnalytics data base we can see the difference between Joe Hart pass characteristics when M.City use Formation 6 for different opponent formation. If the opponents play using formation 6; 2; 5; 7 Joe Hart made the pass mostly by the left side. If the opponents play using Formation 4 and 8 Joe Hart made the pass mostly by the right side. For successful and unsuccessful passes; opponent formation 6; 2; 5; 7; 4 represent the high successful ratio whit (59%; 64%; 60%; 63%; 65%) and formation 8 represent the worst ratio with 38%. Joe Hart use mostly the long pass independently opponent formation, however the long pass represent high unsuccessful ratio.
Whit this data we can presume:
1. Joe Hart independently opponent formation he prefer pass to the left side (When opposition use formation 8 e 4 he pass mostly to the right; but the % difference between right/left side in formation 4 isn´t representative )
2. Joe Hart independently opponent formation he made a high % of total successful pass, but in opponent formation 8 that not happened.
3. Joe Hart independently opponent formation he made mostly long pass, but the % of successful long pass hare very low.
Joe Hart Decision-Maker doesn't see be connected to opponent formation; since it doesn't change the way he start Transition (Defense-Attack).If we see more carefully the game against formation 8 (Arsenal), we can see a different side use bay Joe Hart (right side) and that result in the highs % of unsuccessful long pass and also the low % of short pass use. If Joe Hart doesn’t change the way he start the Transition (Defense-Attack) in all game; again different opponent formation; we can say Arsenal (Formation 8) influence the way he start the Transition (Defense-Attack).
When we change the Manchester city formation Joe Hart behavior in transition (Defense-Attack) is the same?
If we want see if Joe Hart behavior change when Manchester City use Formation 4, we must compare the data with the same opponent formation or we risk to make some mistake; because Joe Hart can adapt their behavior to opponent formation. As we don´t have any games with confrontation between Manchester City Formation 4 and the same opponent Formation, is hard to say if Joe change the way he start Transition (Defense-Attack) when M.City play´s with another formation. But as we previously see Joe Hart behavior doesn’t change with different opponent formation.
So with this data we can presume:
1. Joe Hart change the side of Transition (Defense-Attack) when M.City use Formation 4 ; Opponent team use Formation 4 and M.City use formation 6 (Left side 46%; Right Side 54%); Opponent team use Formation 4 and M.City use formation 4 (Left side 83%; Right Side 17%); Opponent team use Formation 2 and M.City use formation 6 (Left side 71%; Right Side 29%); Opponent team use Formation 2 and M.City use Formation 4 (Left side 44%; Right Side 56%); For the same opposition Formation and different M.City Formation Joe Hart change the way he play.
2. Joe Hart independently opponent formation he made a high % of total successful pass when M.City play in Formation 6; but when M.City play in Formation 4 high % of total successful pass doesn´t happen in all game.
3. Joe Hart independently opponent formation he made mostly long pass when M.City play in Formation 6 (Formation 8; 19% short pass/81% long pass), but when M.City play in Formation 4 that isn´t so clear (Formation 8; 62% short pass/38% long pass).
What can we conclude?
· The “DNA” of M.City team is Formation 6.
· Joe Hart play the same way for different opponent formation.
· When M.City change the formation; Joe Hart also change the way he play.
1Like we see in article “The data base sense” Formation is conditioned by team management, injuries, sanctions, physical condition, international commitments and opponent strategy.
2The number of successful and unsuccessful pass depends of midfield position
Paper in Pdf