The Importance of ball possession in Bolton Vs Manchester City (21/08/ 2011) Part II
After read and write some papers about ball possession, my interest in the subject increased, We know the importance of this subject in the game, for understand team’s behavior, strategies and key action in different moments of game. Previously I discussed the importance of ball possession for a good pressing and good pressing for a good ball possession or for a longer time of possession; but I think this isn´t enough and we can go further.Define about what depends pressing and ball possession team is crucial to analyze team performance.This paper is a little more theoretical so I will not use many data from MC Analytics but try contextualizing these. To begin we explain the general interactions between these two teams.
For Manchester City:
1. Manchester City has Ball Possession, may happen because they started the game with the ball or recovered the ball from Bolton.
2. For recovery ball possessions Manchester City must made Pressing and have the motivation to run after the ball and not made some defensive mistake1.
3. The ball recovery can happened for opponent mistake (can´t support the opponent pressing) or M. City made a strong pressing (Better than Bolton).
For Bolton Wanderers:
1. Bolton has Ball Possession, may happen because they started the game with the ball or recovered the ball from Manchester City.
2. For recovery ball possessions Bolton must made Pressing and have the motivation to run after the ball and not made defensive mistake1.
3. The ball recovery can happened for opponent mistake (can´t support the opponent pressing) or Bolton made a strong pressing (Better than Manchester City).
So what depends Ball Possession or Pressing?
The way to manage these two periods (Ball Possession and Pressing) can be influenced by the context or by the opposing team; for example Bolton try maintaining the ball possession but Manchester City made a very strong pressing and Bolton lose ball possession or Bolton play at home and fan´s can motivate the team to be more aggressive and control the game; (Video 1) other factor that can influence is the team strategy for this specific game (Formation, Players, specific movement etc…), events throughout the game (goals, red and yellow card etc..) like @SoccerStatistic and @analyFooty show us in their conclusion; can motivate player´s, or the own competition if is playoff match they behavior is necessary different on a championship match. Actually I think it is a balance between all these factors (figure 2); of course some factors may have more importance for Ball Possession but even this importance is relative in some moments of the game.
Figure 2-Interaction between factor´s
How can we analyze all these factors?
I think the Performance Analyst doesn´t have to analyze everything about the game, but choose the most important data to analyze what´s going wrong with team.
If we take a Ball Possession situation; team with the ball must ensure some condition to keep ball (Figure 3).
- Space between ball and opponent player must be sufficiently large to avoid opponent ball recuperation(Figure 3).
- Velocity of pass must be height if opponent player is near (Figure 3).
- Good skills if opponent is near (1x1 situation) (Figure 3).
If we take a pressing situation; team with the ball must ensure some condition to have the ball back (Figure 4).
- Reduce space between ball and opponent player to intercept the pass; without defensives mistakes (Figure 4).
- Player velocity must be height to reduce the space (Figure 4).
- Good skills if opponent is near (1x1 situation) (Figure 4).
I think to explain what happens when we lose the ball possession is essential to identify when team lose the ball and what caused the lost of ball and after correct that point.
1 When a said defensive mistakes I mean situation how leave space to counter-attack, like happened in this game.
* Figure 3 and 4 isn´t about the game in Bolton Vs Manchester City (21/08/ 2011)